. OnHiatus.com > Journal 1 > Day Index > Journal Entry: June 24, 2001

Sunday, June 24, 2001
PATS, Pohnpei to Weno, Chuuk, Micronesia
Micronesia's FlagPohnpei's FlagChuuk's Flag

Weno, Chuuk, Micronesia:
Latitude: 7° 24' 46" North
Longitude: 151° 50' 35" East
Altitude: 11 feet
From Seattle: 6107 miles
Lodging: Hotel - Blue Lagoon

Today's Travel:
Country: Micronesia
Regions: Pohnpei, Chuuk
Route: Car to airport; Continental Micronesia flight 959: Pohnpei - Chuuk
Start: PATS, Pohnpei
Stop 1. Pohnpei Airport, Koloknia, Pohnpei
End:Weno, Chuuk, Micronesia
Linear:447 miles
Weather: Partial Sun / Rain

Click on map to Zoom in...
Trip Stats to Date:
Day: 1536
Linear Dist: 284570
Countries Visited: 78
Regions Visited: 294
More stats...
Hotels: 645
Friends / Family: 350
Camping: 135
Hostels: 262
Transit: 100
Other Lodging: 13
Beers: 4714

Journal Entry:
I slept very soundly - I think I really needed the sleep! When Stacy came by in the morning we played a game of cribbage on my new board just to break it in. Spent the rest of the morning at the MERIP lab - rinsing and checking dive gear and trying to help Stacy with a computer problem. After lunch I worked with the computer some more - it seems to have caught a virus. I packed the dive gear, then went up to my room to pack my bags - I can't believe I'm leaving Pohnpei already! We were going to take Simon and Eileen out to diner as a thank you for lending us their truck for so long, but the called and cancelled. After diner we'd planned on wasting time with a late movie, but when we called to check on times we found out that there were no late movies on Sundays. The good news was that rushing was then unnecessary, but the bad news was that we had nothing to do. As we were finally ready and loading the car it started to pour rain - the kind that drenches you to the skin in seconds. The drive in was very long - we were wet, the visibility was at times minimal, and when we finally did get to the paved road we got stuck behind a car that wouldn't go over fifteen miles per hour. We had a nice diner at the Village, then went to Steve's house, a friend of Stacy's who is going to Chuuk for work on the same flight. We watched some TV and talked, then went to check in at the airport. The plan had been to check in then go back to Steve's to relax until it was time to leave. Steve's check-in took minutes (he flies all the time so knows the staff), but we were stuck in a very slow moving line. After 20 minutes of the line not moving Steve gave up on us and went back promising to bring our carry-on bags. Eventually we got to the front of the line and checked in. We sat around and at boarding time Steve showed up with our bags - unfortunately the plane didn't show up. They were having weather problems and had to try three approaches before they could land. After we finally did board I had a new experience for me - we started to take off and then half way down the runway the pilot aborted - not a smooth maneuver! We were told there was a "rogue shear wind" and we might be delayed twenty minutes. Nearly two hours later we finally took off - for our 40 minute flight. We got to Chuuk at 3:40 - luckily the hotel van was waiting for us and it was trivial to get to our room - good thing as I wasn't functioning very well by that time. By the time we got to bed it was 4:30 and we had to be up before eight to dive.

Paging: [⇚ Jun 23] | [Jun 25 ⇛] OnHiatus.com > Journal 1 > Day Index > Journal Entry: June 24, 2001